1999 Mode is an unlockable gameplay mode in Bioshock Infinite that plays around with a few gameplay elements and tweaks the difficulty to make the game harder and more challenging than a standard run through the campaign. It is a throwback to tougher, more difficult games in the 90’s that did not include a whole lot of hand holding, checkpoints and objective markers to be accessible to the masses and as such can be a little tough for the average gamer.
The 1999 Mode can be unlocked in two different ways:
By completing the Bioshock Infinite campaign on any difficulty.
Entering the Konami Code at the main menu. Key presses:
> Playstation 3: Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, O, X
> Xbox 360 : Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A
> PC (Default) : Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right,Esc,Enter
Once unlocked, 1999 Mode can be selected from the main menu. Whilst playing through 1999 Mode, there are a few changes to the standard gameplay that should be noted before you begin. These include:
- If you die, the respawn cost has increased to $100.
- If you have insufficient funds to respawn upon death, the game will boot you to the main menu and you will have to start all over again.
- There are fewer Player respawn areas and checkpoints.
- Enemies will regain a large amount of their health upon the event of Booker respawning.
- Player’s total health pool is smaller in size and will deplete much faster than the standard difficulties.
- Shields take a few seconds longer to start regenerating and will also recharge at a slower rate than usual.
- Enemies have higher health and can cause more damage.
- Enemies drop less ammo when killed and there is less ammo lying around in the environment.
- You can no longer use the Navigation arrow to show you where to go.
1999 Mode Hints & Tips
There is no doubt that 1999 mode is much more challenging than the standard difficulties and the tweaks to gameplay change the focus of gameplay a great deal. As this is the case, here are a few tips and tricks that will help you out in completing the 1999 Mode and make your progress through it a little less painful.
Loot everything! There is less money lying around in this mode and you need it for both upgrading your weapons/vigors AND respawning, so it is imperative to check every object and grab every silver eagle you come across.
You need to hold onto as much money as possible in order to prevent perma-death and a game restart. As such, you will want to only upgrade one or two weapons (one long range and one short-mid range) and a vigor or two that you feel comfortable with.
Find and use your lock picks. They will grant you access to extra infusions, equippable gear and safes containing precious silver dollars. By following the above walkthrough, you should have more than enough lock picks to open every lock in the game.
Pick up all of the infusions! They will boost your base stats well above the starting level and give you more of a chance against the denizens of Columbia.
As you pick up infusions, focus on maxing out your shield first, whilst health and salts are also important, the shield can regenerate on its own and supplement Booker’s health bar. The more shields you have the longer you can live in a fight!
Upgrade Possession with ‘Possession Aid’ to make sure that you can convert just about any foe into a temporary ally. Two guns are better than one!