Boss: Blood-starved Beast
Before this fight you should hotkey Antidotes to one of your quick slot, as this boss uses attack that cause Poison build-up in the later stages. Like many of the bosses in Bloodborne, the Blood-starved Beast is weak to fire, so if you have an upgraded Flamesprayer with Oil Urns and Bone Marrow Ash you can deal heavy damage to him.
In Phase 1 the Blood-starved Beast telegraphs his attacks, making them easy to counter with your gun for visceral attacks. Stay at mid-range from the boss and wait for him to initiate his Slow Combo, indicated by raising his right arm, and counter him with your gun for a visceral attack. If you find yourself low on HP, use the pillars in the environment to block him and get a quick heal.
List of the Blood-starved Beast’s attacks in Phase 1:
- Slow Combo: Slowly raises his right arm over his head, this is the best attack to counter him
- Fast Combo: Succession of three-hits with a fast beginning that does heavy damage
- Lunging Slash: Swings his right arm out to his side and then rushes forward with a slash
Phase 2 & 3
When the Blood-starved Beast reaches 50% health he will enter Phase 2 and gain speed and agility, making him much deadly. While his attacks also gain the ability to cause Poison build-up he still uses the same primary attacks, meaning you can use the same strategy with added caution and be ready to dodge if your counter fails.
Within no time you will likely get the boss within 25% of his health and enter Phase 3, causing him to go wild. At this point it is vital to use the environment to Heal or cure Poison and dodge his attacks, slashing him when he misses them and ends up with his back to you.
List of the Blood-starved Beast’s attacks in Phase 2 & 3:
- Poison Grab: Rears up on his hind legs and lunges at you for a poisonous bite
- Rage Combo: Succession of five-hits that does heavy damage
- Poison Blast: Creates a cloud of poison that does damage and Poison build-up
- Jump Combo: Hops forward for two quick slashes that do moderate damage
Drop: 6,600 Blood Echoes and the Pthumeru Chalice