As soon as you pull the sword from the boss’ chest you can attack to inflict damage, even though the health bar is not displayed to reflect this. Iudex’s attacks are extremely heavy and will tear through any Stamina you have while blocking, so focus on dodging while your weapon is two-handed for additional damage.
Most of his attacks can be avoided by rolling under them, but any that are vertical will result in taking damage from Iudex’s body. Keep your stamina topped off and wait for the openings to perform a nice 2-3 hit combo.
List of the Iudex Gundyr’s attacks in Stage 1:
- Lunging Attack: Stabs forward in a combo of 2-3 attacks
- Fast Sweep Attack: Slashes across the area in front of him in a combo
- Backhanded Sweep Attack: Slow version of a Fast Sweep, not in a combo
- Downward Slice: Slashes down into the ground and then pulls upward
- Shoulder Plow: Arches back and then rams his shoulder forward
- Jumping Slash/Stab: Jumps across the area and slashes/stabs into the ground
At about half health Iudex will begin to transform into a mutated beast of black ooze. In addition to his previous attacks he’ll now use his newly grown claw and beastly mouth to attack you, but the majority of his new attacks are medium to long range.
Stick close to him and he’ll primarily use his Jumping Slash to try and come down on you, which is easy to spot because he’ll use his mutated claw to push himself upwards, and the rest of his attacks you should be used to by now.
List of the Iudex Gundyr’s attacks in Stage 2:
- Claw Sweep: Rakes the ground from back to front with his mutated claw
- Claw Punch: Punches the ground in front of him with his mutated claw
- Bite: Bites across the area in front of him with a sweep of his mutated head
Drops: 3,000 Souls , Coiled Sword