Need to grind for AP in a short amount of time? Then I have the trick for you! This trick essentially abuses the nature of the AP and Overdrive -> AP systems so that you can gain AP en masse in single battles, maybe even enough to max out your Sphere Level at lower levels! You will need the following:
- **Overdrive Mode** : Comrade or Stoic, but preferably Comrade.
- **Weapon Abilities** : (best ones are listed first)
- Ability #1 - Overdrive -> AP (necessary)
- Ability #2 - Triple Overdrive, Double Overdrive, SOS Overdrive
- Ability #3 - Triple AP, Double AP
- **Armor Abilities** : (not needed, but it saves time)
- Ability #1 - Auto-Phoenix
- Ability #2 - Auto-Haste / SOS Haste
- Have no HP-increasing abilities on your armor, as that lowers the efficiency of the Comrade Overdrive Mode.
- Unlock Don Tonberry in the Monster Arena by capturing all enemies from the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth
- Have the Flee command on everyone
Rather simple, really. Go into the Monster Arena and fight the Don Tonberry. Attack any way you want and he’ll counter with Karma which should deal insane damage to the attacker; 15,000+ is not uncommon. The attacker will likely die and, in the process, due to Comrade, their allies’ Overdrive gauges will charge, and then be tripled by Triple Overdrive, with that converted to AP via Overdrive -> AP, and Triple AP makes that go to 9x AP than Overdrive -> AP alone. Essentially, with a good enough hit against the attacker, per the mechanics of Overdrive -> AP, that’s 9 Sphere Levels.
Repeatedly Attack and let Auto-Phoenix do the reviving until the Don Tonberry gets close, and then Flee and sit there while a massive AP counter ticks down.
As a note, if you need to level-up neglected characters or you they’re your only Auto-Phoenix wielder, simply have them Defend (Triangle Button) rather than anything.