Here are some tips and tricks that will help you out when you are just starting out in the game.
- Save often! As the number one rule in any RPG, saving is one of the most important things you can do. Not only will you not know what happens in the immediate future, but there are some high-leveled creatures in the game's world, who can make short work of your characters, resulting in a Game Over. Also, make sure you keep multiple save files.
- Explore! Don't be afraid to stop during the main story and just explore the game's world. You never know when you might run into a treasure spot that might give you a new and powerful weapons. On the same note, do be careful as a bit, as there are some strong enemies littered through the world, so if you feel like you need to run away, do it!
- Hold onto everything! Just because they're called treasures and the game basically tells you to sell them doesn't mean you should. Sell only items you can reliably pick up from enemies, like Sabertusk Claws, Mesmenir Horns, Voretooth Bristles and Shield Spikes. Ingredients are better off saved for cooking, and other treasures might have more use in Elemancy.
- Optional content! The sidequests and hunts are in the game for a reason. While you don't need to do everything, don't neglect them, as sidequests are great for experience and hunts are good for gil. Both can reward you with some nice items, such as Megalixirs or Mega Phoenixes.
- Use Magic! Magic can be over-powering, capable of wiping groups of annoying enemies in a single cast, especially if you invest in skills like "Powercraft", "Elementalism", "Magic Power" and related skills early. Make sure you keep stores of spells crafted and ready to go at all times.
- Spend your AP! Invest in the exploration tree early, especially skills that allow you to passively generate AP, like "Roadrunning", "Angler Action", "Happy Camping" and "Happier Camping". They'll pay for themselves in the short run, and generate a huge profit in the long run.