The Official Gamer Guides "Introduce Yourself" Thread

SophiaSophia Member, Administrator, Subscriber
edited March 2019 in General Discussion

Hi members, both new and old. ;)

We've set this thread up as a friendly, welcoming space for people to just say "Hi" and maybe share a few words about themselves.

Maybe tell us what sort of games you like, what games your looking forward to, what non-gaming things you're interested in and maybe even a little bit about your choice of avatar.

I'll update this thread with useful links in the future, but for now enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you the Gamer Guides community.

My name is Sophia and I am the founder of Gamer Guides. I've been building gaming websites since I was 15 :o . I previously founded two other large gaming sites; PlayStation Universe (2003) and Playfire (2007). My hobbies (aside from games) are guitar, chess and travelling. :)

Comments

• haeravonhaeravon Member, Subscriber

Nathan here. I write guides. Most of my hobbies are gaming-centric, and most of my gaming is guide-centric. Pretty narrow little universe, there. I try to balance it out somewhat by reading about history.

• ClaireClaire Member, Administrator, Subscriber

Claire here - I spend most of my time deciding what games would make good guides for Gamer Guides and/or editing stuff on here, so blame me if we don't cover a game you want. :wink: Ironically, not enough time is spent actually gaming anymore :(

Aside from gaming, I go to concerts, spend time with my menagerie of animals and generally lament the loss of my 20s :D

• MasterVGuidesMasterVGuides Member, Subscriber

Jarrod here and I also write guides. Like Haeravon above, the majority of my hobbies are centered around gaming. Been gaming for 30+ years now, getting my start on the NES with the original Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. I really enjoy platformers and RPGs.

• Below Average GamerBelow Average Gamer Member, Administrator, Subscriber

Garrett here. I'm a freelance web developer who has been working on the GG site for a few months now, so any bugs you find on the site are my fault, so please let me know. I've been gaming since my cousin and I played games together on her Atari 2600. I play all kinds of games, but I'd say my favorite genres are open-world games (particularly the Saints Row, Just Cause, and pre-bowling-with-your-cousin GTA games) and strategy games (Steam says I've wasted 721 hours of my life on Civ V). Recently I've been playing older and/or indie games since I'm sitting out this console generation and my laptop is getting old, and also because I tend to be cynical about the current trend of over-engineered AAA games with gambling mechanics.

If I'm not writing code or playing games, I might be studying Japanese or planning my next trip abroad.

@Below Average Gamer Saint's Row... my dude. I love me some Saint's Row.

• ben_chardben_chard Member, Administrator, Subscriber

Ben here and like the others, I also write guides. Been involved in the guides industry for around 15 years now so it's a good job gaming is a huge part of my life. Other than gaming, i'm a huge sports fan that follows football (soccer for you US users) religiously, Formula 1 and Tennis.

• skaithius10skaithius10 Member, Subscriber

Brian here, been a heavy gamer since SNES. I didn't really figure out my favorite Genre until Final Fantasy X. Once I played that (my first RPG) I've gone back to older games and worked my way forwards to the most recent ones. I am a sucker for a strong story and character development. When I am not gaming I am either watching sports (American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Fulham Football) or netflix/amazon and the like.

@skaithius10 said:
    Brian here, been a heavy gamer since SNES. I didn't really figure out my favorite Genre until Final Fantasy X. Once I played that (my first RPG) I've gone back to older games and worked my way forwards to the most recent ones. I am a sucker for a strong story and character development. When I am not gaming I am either watching sports (American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Fulham Football) or netflix/amazon and the like.

What's your NFL team? Also, FFX is such a great insight into what a good RPG looks like so I'm glad that helped. FFVIII was my first game that did that for me though X helped cement that opinion.

• SophiaSophia Member, Administrator, Subscriber

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

What's your NFL team? Also, FFX is such a great insight into what a good RPG looks like so I'm glad that helped. FFVIII was my first game that did that for me though X helped cement that opinion.

We really should look at an VIII guide for GG. I am sad we don't have one for such a great game! We have 10 other FF guide games on the site already :)

@Sophia said:

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

We really should look at an VIII guide for GG. I am sad we don't have one for such a great game! We have 10 other FF guide games on the site already :)

We were holding off in case they remastered it. Doesn't look like that's happening for a bit so yeah... That is defo a guide I can help with ehehe.

• MasterVGuidesMasterVGuides Member, Subscriber

FF8, FF9 and WoFF :smile: coughs

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

Jacksonville Jaguars. I'm a glutton for punishment

@Sophia said:

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

That would be Awesome!

@Claire said:

@Sophia said:

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

We were holding off in case they remastered it. Doesn't look like that's happening for a bit so yeah... That is defo a guide I can help with ehehe.

I may have purchased it for PC back in the day just in case... You know, because that worked out so well for Final Fantasy VII and all.

• Stephen here. What to say about myself? I write guides that I started doing back in 2002 although been times I went on hiatus to take a break from doing them. I enjoy playing platformers, racing and horror are probably my top three types of games to play. I try to get into other types as well but it depends on how much it grabs my attention.

Outside of gaming, I do enjoy watching various types of racing as I attended some local races live. I try to do some reading when I can whether if it's something pure fiction or something like cryptozoology related stuff. As for the choice of avatar, been a bit of a fan of the Mega Man series for over 20 years.

@Aanginator said:
    Stephen here. What to say about myself? I write guides that I started doing back in 2002 although been times I went on hiatus to take a break from doing them. I enjoy playing platformers, racing and horror are probably my top three types of games to play. I try to get into other types as well but it depends on how much it grabs my attention.

Outside of gaming, I do enjoy watching various types of racing as I attended some local races live. I try to do some reading when I can whether if it's something pure fiction or something like cryptozoology related stuff. As for the choice of avatar, been a bit of a fan of the Mega Man series for over 20 years.

Hi Aanginator. Welcome to the forums! Which guides did you write? Always nice to see guide writers here :)

• AanginatorAanginator Member
    edited February 2019

@Sophia said:

@Aanginator said:
    Stephen here. What to say about myself? I write guides that I started doing back in 2002 although been times I went on hiatus to take a break from doing them. I enjoy playing platformers, racing and horror are probably my top three types of games to play. I try to get into other types as well but it depends on how much it grabs my attention.

Hi Aanginator. Welcome to the forums! Which guides did you write? Always nice to see guide writers here :)

Although when I had made this account as I did try using the name I usually go with but had trouble making an account using that name. Had to use the name I use a different screen name I had came up with years ago. Although what I have done can be found at the links below.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/Warhawk/contributions/faqs

The link above is a majority of what I've done with a few that I did there was a bounty up for grabs for it like Detective Pikachu and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.

https://www.neoseeker.com/spyro-reignited-trilogy/walkthrough

That one there is an exclusive for Neoseeker with the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Although by the time I finished it which took around six weeks and drained me a bit after I finished it. With that one I felt is probably one of my better ones I've done since I started back up almost a year ago.

EDIT: I also have done some videos as well on my YouTube channel as well. Most of what I've done has been through the live stream via PlayStation4 feature linking my YT channel to my PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8bBi1xcc0zypXdrUMSLAhA?view_as=subscriber

@Aanginator said:

Welcome Stephen. Glad to see you here :) Feel free to join in and create new threads etc.

@skaithius10 said:

@Claire said:

@skaithius10 said:

Jacksonville Jaguars. I'm a glutton for punishment

The Jags huh? Well, they've not been too bad in recent years. Could be the Browns or something :D I support the Packers myself :)

• Chris here... New to the forum and to gamer guides. And well, games again. I used to play when I was younger (about 30 years ago). My daughters got me a used Xbox 360 and I was looking for something more than Madden. My son-in-law got me Fallout 3.

I just used the one here to complete it. Sadly, I didn't pick it up until I was a good bit in the game, so obviously had to revisit old areas. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Chris. Welcome to the forums! :)

• My name is cory and i just found this site today. Its funny cuz i just bought assassins creed odyssey strategy guide online and seen this site after i already purchased the guide. I can already tell that i will love this site and will be a premium member on my next pay day. I love shooter games, racing games, action adventure, but my absolute favourite genre is RPG's like the whitcher series, fallout series, etc..

@TheRooster3030 said:
    My name is cory and i just found this site today. Its funny cuz i just bought assassins creed odyssey strategy guide online and seen this site after i already purchased the guide. I can already tell that i will love this site and will be a premium member on my next pay day. I love shooter games, racing games, action adventure, but my absolute favourite genre is RPG's like the whitcher series, fallout series, etc..

Hey Cory - that's awesome to hear! Welcome to the site! :)

• What up, just checking in. I'm Sam, have always loved reading game guides ever since I was a little kid. Used to carry them around with me all the time as 'light reading'. Pokemon Yellow was the first ever 'official' game guide I owned. Stumbled across this site when I was looking for an in-depth and thorough guide for FFVIII (replaying in honour of its anniversary). Needless to say I enjoy the work that's being put out here, please keep it up :)

@Slaygaer said:
    What up, just checking in. I'm Sam, have always loved reading game guides ever since I was a little kid. Used to carry them around with me all the time as 'light reading'. Pokemon Yellow was the first ever 'official' game guide I owned. Stumbled across this site when I was looking for an in-depth and thorough guide for FFVIII (replaying in honour of its anniversary). Needless to say I enjoy the work that's being put out here, please keep it up :)

Thanks Sam. Glad you like our site! The VIII guide should be more or less completed now. We've also got a unique interactive map for the game which I think is well worth checking out. Here's a link:

https://www.gamerguides.com/final-fantasy-viii/maps/world-map

@Slaygaer said:
    What up, just checking in. I'm Sam, have always loved reading game guides ever since I was a little kid. Used to carry them around with me all the time as 'light reading'. Pokemon Yellow was the first ever 'official' game guide I owned. Stumbled across this site when I was looking for an in-depth and thorough guide for FFVIII (replaying in honour of its anniversary). Needless to say I enjoy the work that's being put out here, please keep it up :)

Salute!

• bryanskismebryanskisme Member, Subscriber

Hi, Bryan here.
    I own a huge collection of PSOne, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games. Some highlights are (PSOne) Xenogears, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny II(US), Valkyrie Profile, Dragon Warrior VII, Suikoden 1 and 2, Breath of Fire IIISt Legend of Dragoon, Grandia, Star Ocean Second Story, Castlevania SOTN, FFVII-IX. All in their cases with instructions. And many more.
    (PS2) Grandia II, Y's VI: Ark of Napishtim. Radiata Stories, Star Ocean TTEOT, Tales of the Abyss, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, Grandia III, Nier, Suikoden III-V, Castlevania LoI and CoD. All in their cases with instructions. And many more. I used to own all the FFs' for PS2 but sold them when I bought the Remasters on PS4.
    (PS3): Ni No Kuni, Star Ocean 4, Tales of (Graces f, Chronicles of Symphony, Xillia I and II), FF X, XII, XIII (1-3), every COD, ICO Remastered, the two Castlevanias, and many many more games. All in their cases with instructions.
    (PS4) Too many to list. Shadow of Colossus Remaster, Nier: Automata, Ni No Kuni II, Star Ocean 5, FFXV,

All the Uncharted's, Tales of, COD, Ratchet and Clank, Tomb Raider (Reboot), Rise, Shadow, Anniversary (GCN). Tons more.
    The best of N64 and GCN. (Not hooked up ATM.)
    Wii and Wii U. (The Last Story, Xenoblade, Zelda HD remakes)
    Switch: Y's VIII, Pokemon Eevee, Zelda Link's Awakening, Coll. if Mana, DQ XI, Worlds of FF, Sphere, I am Setsuna, Octopath, way too many more.
    I own all mainline Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Tales of.., Metroid Prime, Pikmin, and the MOVE games for PS3 and PSVR games for PS4.)
    I have the New 3DsXL, 2 Game Boy Advance SP+(with the better lighting and screen), a Game Boy Color. I previously owned a DS, DSlite, DSi, 3DsXL) and all the great portable games.
    I use mClassic and mCables. Look them up. Game-changers especially for PS2, Wii, Switch.
    Write back if you'd like. Later mates!

• kevanickkevanick Member, Subscriber

Hi everyone, I'm Kyle. I've been an old game guide reader since way back in the NES and Gameboy days, and for some NES games, you needed guides because of their difficulty. I believe the Pokemon Red/Blue guide was the first I ever bought. I have a multitude of games on a few systems (PC, Switch, Xbox, 3DS) though my usual type of game is RPGs and on the rare occasion Simulation and Strategy games. I've been wanting to subscribe to the site for a few months now and here I am.

Hi Bryan and Kyle. Welcome to the site. Great to hear from you both.

First off nice collection Bryan! Many really great games in there!

Kyle - we are all big strategy guide users from the 90’s and early 00’s here at GG 🙂
  • Karenw215Karenw215 Member, Subscriber

Hi Everyone,
    I'm a grandmom trying to find a way to connect with my teenage grandkids (girl 14 and boy 17). Actually with my three grown children as well. When they were younger I played the Nintendo 64 and Play Station with them but that was a lifetime ago. All my kids are big gamers and I have fallen into the "Let's play Wheel of Fortune" when mom's here league. I was into RPGs long ago. Had several desk top sized graph paper tablets, made my own map of Legend of Zelda, the first Final Fantasy that was released in the US but I don't want to be the "remember when mom" person. I want to sharpen my skills and surprise them. I'm not into sports games and I have no systems. I just joined Steam and started with Final Fantasy 3 to get the cobwebs out. I still work full time and my arthritis won't allow for total immersion on the weekends but I think I can learn something new. The only controller I have is an NES style and I do have an ergonomic ball mouse that is so convenient for Bad Caterpillar which is for my own fun.
    I found this site looking for tips and it seems it might just be what I'm looking for :)
    I hope there are some people out there who can relate :-)

Karenw215