Final Fantasy VIII 20th Anniversary

SophiaSophia Member, Administrator, Subscriber
edited February 2019 in Gaming Discussion

20 years ago one of the most ambitious games in the Final Fantasy series was released. Final Fantasy VIII celebrates its 20th Anniversary today. Let's discuss our favorite moments, music and memories.

Happy Anniversary Final Fantasy VIII!

Final Fantasy VIII was released for the PlayStation 1999 followed by a PC release in 2000. It has since then been re-released as part of the PSOne Classic for PlayStation 3, PSP, PlayStation Vita. It released on Steam in 2013 when the company released its last known total sales figure of 8.5 million copies across all platforms worldwide.

Comments

• MasterVGuidesMasterVGuides Member, Subscriber

Would really love to have a remaster or port to current systems, but the supposed licensing issue with Eyes On Me is probably what's keeping that from happening.

• ben_chardben_chard Member, Subscriber

I loved Final Fantasy VIII, still one of the only games I stayed up all night for when it released.

• haeravonhaeravon Member, Subscriber

Yeah, I second a remaster. I can live without that song in the game, I wish SE would stop partnering with musicians, it's been nothing but trouble for little practical gain.

Gameplay was really wonky, I still say the leveling system was a mistake. That said, I didn't actually mind all the drawing/grinding, and Triple Triad is just... so good. Have my issues with the story, but it's still one of the better Final Fantasy games. Would play again... with trophies.

• ClaireClaire Member, Administrator, Subscriber

The most complete FF ever made and the first game that ever made me truly appreciate gaming as an art form. It is still my favourite to this day.

• skaithius10skaithius10 Member, Subscriber

That ending though. I remember thinking wtf?

@skaithius10 I think it was in disc 2 and 3 where the story lost me. The slug guy financing the garden, the orphan stuff... That was just lazy and silly. One of the best OSTs in gaming, though.

Honestly I think FF VIII had the best final dungeon in the series and the Ultimecia fight is pretty darn epic. Final bosses were kinda lame till then.

While my opinions on the game aren't as high as other people's, I do agree that certain aspects are top-notch. The soundtrack is amazing and I do think that the final dungeon is one of the better ones out there. However, I hated the Draw system and having scaleable enemies is a big no-no in my book.

@Claz said:
    Honestly I think FF VIII had the best final dungeon in the series and the Ultimecia fight is pretty darn epic. Final bosses were kinda lame till then.

Yeah, Ultimecia's castle was pretty cool. I wish Omega Weapon was... well the only way I've ever beaten him was by turning the Giglamesh card into Holy Wars. Doesn't seem like there's too much wiggle room when it comes to strategy with that boss, just Aura/spam multihit limits/Holy War.

@MasterVGuides said:
    While my opinions on the game aren't as high as other people's, I do agree that certain aspects are top-notch. The soundtrack is amazing and I do think that the final dungeon is one of the better ones out there. However, I hated the Draw system and having scaleable enemies is a big no-no in my book.

I didn't mind drawing, but I dig a good passive play game from time to time. Gotta draw a bunch of magic? Rubber-band time. The scaling enemies wasn't great, always encouraged me to do a low level run by carding ene

Triple Triad makes up for scaling enemies tbh... :grin:

Omega Weapon is a pretty scripted fight, though, so if you know what he's going to do ahead of time, you can prepare. I've seen people use Zell's Limit Break, as well as Selphie's one (The End), although that is purely RNG.

@MasterVGuides said:
    Omega Weapon is a pretty scripted fight, though, so if you know what he's going to do ahead of time, you can prepare. I've seen people use Zell's Limit Break, as well as Selphie's one (The End), although that is purely RNG.

I'm not saying he's difficult, just not very dynamic. Low-level Omega is cake, but it's really the same thing every time. Squall/Zell spam limits with Aura, use Holy War to absorb party wipes. Guess he's harder than Emerald Weapon, but there were more ways to beat Emerald, too.

The best part about fighting Omega is actually summoning him in the first place. He's strong enough but with Holy War + Aura spam it's not too difficult. I may go back and try a different strategy one of these days.

I own the digital version on my PS3, getting the itch for a replay.

@skaithius10 said:
    I own the digital version on my PS3, getting the itch for a replay.

I try and do a yearly replay though I haven't the last couple of years unfortunately. Need to do one though.

OMG it took me an hour to get the forbidden card. So burnt out on Triple Triad XD The Guy only played it twice in 60 hands. UGH.

• SophiaSophia Member, Administrator, Subscriber

@skaithius10 said:
    OMG it took me an hour to get the forbidden card. So burnt out on Triple Triad XD The Guy only played it twice in 60 hands. UGH.

Yeah it can be a lot of work to collect all of the cards. Would be a lot easier without that darn random rule! :D

@Sophia said:

@skaithius10 said:

Yeah it can be a lot of work to collect all of the cards. Would be a lot easier without that darn random rule! :D

Need to get rid of the Random rule? We've got a guide for that :P

@skaithius10 said:

You have no idea how much time I had to spend playing Triple Triad for that guide.

Will do it all again with the remaster, too.

• SophiaSophia Member, Administrator, Subscriber

@haeravon said:

@skaithius10 said:

You have no idea how much time I had to spend playing Triple Triad for that guide.

Will do it all again with the remaster, too.

September 3rd Woop! @Claire is very excited! :p

edited October 2019

Just finished the remaster. Thanks to Triple Triad and hours upon hours of save/loading and AP grinding, I completely wrecked Ultimecia at Level 13 XD