The Metal Gear Solid games have always been known for their inclusion of numerous in-jokes, self-referencing and tonnes of interesting and humorous things to find. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is no exception. There a number of each of these types of Easter eggs hidden throughout Camp Omega and this guide will help you find them!
This section will contain some minor spoilers, so you should definitely steer clear of it until after you have completed the game. Once the game is done, you can load the relevant chapter/side-op from the level select menu.
Below you’ll find a list of Easter Eggs located throughout Camp Omega and how you can find and experience each of them.
The iDroid & Cassette Tapes
Not only does the iDroid have a nifty map to help you get around and important mission information to give you tips on how to accomplish your goals, but it also gives you access to Snake’s Walkman and allows you to use it to play various cassettes that can be found within the game. These include story-based dialogue to give you a bit of insight into some of the characters coming in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain as well as some more novel audio such as some series related musical scores and sound tracks from other Kojima Studios games to listen to as you play.
Of particular note are the following:
- **Déjà Vu -** The cassette located in this mission, features a pair of soundtracks from previous Metal Gear games and includes: ‘Resurgence’ from the original Metal Gear Solid and the Theme of Tara.
- **Jamais Vu** - The cassette located in this mission, features a pair of soundtracks from previous Kojima games and includes: ‘Ambushed’ from the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and The Pleasure of Tension from Snatcher.
- **Zone of Enders: The 2nd Runner** – ‘Beyond the Bounds feat. KARYYN – Esheric’ soundtrack can be unlocked by beating every mission, side-op and extra-op on hard difficulty.
- **Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes** – ‘Here’s to You’ soundtrack can be found on a cassette in the cell behind Chico’s in the Ground Zeroes mission.
Completing the Extra-ops levels on different difficulties will earn you different unlockable costumes. These include:
- Jamais Vu – Complete on normal difficulty for Raiden’s White armour outfit.
- Jamais Vu - Complete on hard difficulty for Raiden’s Command armour outfit.
- Déjà Vu – Complete the mission and the subsequent Metal Gear Solid quiz on normal difficulty for the Classic Snake Skin.
- Déjà Vu – Complete the mission and the subsequent Metal Gear Solid quiz on hard difficulty for the Frank Jaeger Skin.
Hideo Kojima Appearing In-Game
Series creator Hideo Kojima himself is actually an NPC in the game. During the side-op ‘Intel operative Rescue’ you’ll be escorting a contact through the base before extracting him. Once you have him on board, it is revealed to be Kojima himself. Depending on your score he’ll appraise your performance.
Upon returning to the level select menu, you’ll also spot him sitting in the background. He’ll disappear if you go and complete another mission, but repeat the ‘Intel Operative Rescue’ side-op again and he’ll return.
Camp Omega Shadow Moses Theme (PS3/PS4 Only)
Once you have completed the Déjà vu mission on normal, you are able to use the Classic Snake skin. To use this, visit the mission select menu, scroll down to the Deja Vu Extra-op and whilst it is selected, hit right on the D-Pad. The mission image should change. At this point, launch the mission and you will note that not only will you be in control of a pixelated, blocky Snake, but whilst the island stays the same it is now snowing and all the guards are now wearing arctic survival gear.
Checking the Disk Case (PS3/PS4 Only)
Checking the disk case will remind some players of the trick that was incorporated into the original Metal Gear Solid in which the only way to proceed with the game was to call Meryl on your codec and the only way to do that was to look at the back of the game case for the required radio frequency. Ground Zeroes re-visits this trick (well at least for PS3/PS4 owners) as a nice throwback to the original.
This occurs during the PS3/PS4 exclusive Déjà Vu extra-op mission in which players need to re-create photographs located in their iDroid information page. The final photo located in the iDroid is actually blank, but your radio contact will give you a hint as to how to solve it by telling you to look on the back of the disc case. This happens to feature the classic blackout image from the original Metal Gear Solid, giving you a hint as to how to complete the final scene.
FOXDIE (PS3/PS4 Only)
Once you have completed the Déjà vu mission on normal, you are able to use the classic snake skin. To use this, visit the mission select menu and hit right on the D-Pad. Launch the mission and go to where Paz and Chico were located during the Ground Zeroes mission. The regular P.O.Ws here have been replaced with the DARPA Chief and the president of ARMS-Tech from Metal Gear Solid who will subsequently die from the Foxdie virus during a scene when you attempt to rescue them.
Upon completion of the second scene, the screen will go a psychedelic colour as the system is infected with the FoxDie virus too. It will go away after a short amount of time though as the Fox Engine (the game engine running the game) is more powerful apparently according to our iDroid contact.
Classic Johnny (PS3/PS4 Only)
On the Déjà vu mission once more, there is a series self-reference to Johnny, the guard with irritable bowel syndrome who ended up naked and unconscious in one of Metal Gear Solid’s bathrooms and has made an appearance in other games in the series. If you head over to the prison where Chico was being held during the Ground Zeroes mission, find the portable toilets located next to the shelter adjacent to the western fence of the prison compound. You’ll hear our favourite guard having one hell of a time in there.
Metal Gear Solid Series Logos
When you load up either of the extra-ops missions - Jamais Vu (X360/XOne) or Déjà Vu (PS3/PS4) you will find that there are a number of logos from the history of Metal Gear games scattered throughout the camp along with a series logos for Kojima Productions. The logos for the core games (Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes) can be erased by picking up the AM MRS-4 (SL) rifle in the locked armory inside the admin area and shining the flashlight attached to this assault rifle onto the logos themselves for a few seconds. Erasing all of them will trigger an audio exchange with a character from the original Metal Gear Solid. Interrogating one of the guards will have him mark all of the logos on your map.
Note that we are unable to erase the spin-off or side-game logos.
The logos found in the following locations:
- **Metal Gear** - on the underside of the shelter located adjacent to the western fence of the prison compound where you rescued Chico in the Ground Zeroes mission.
- **Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake** - next to a ladder on the South side of the building attached behind the armory by the warehouses. This is just to the east of the execution ground near the AA gun. The Kojima Productions logo is on another face of this building.
- **Metal Gear Solid** - inside the admin area’s locked armory, right behind the special AM MRS-4 (SL) we need to use to erase it.
- **Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty** - For PS3/PS4 players it is behind the large, white warning just to the west of the locked door leading to the extraction point where we start the Ground Zeroes mission. There should be a guard tower on the opposite side of the fence from the logo. Destroy the sign with a grenade to have it appear.
- **Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty** - For X360/XOne players, it is located on the roof of the building directly west of the northernmost of the three warehouse buildings. You can’t reach it per se, but you can climb up onto the warehouse opposite and hit it with your flashlight from there.
- **Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater** is in the guard tower on the western side of the execution ground. This is just next to the western ground exit that we can use to leave the mission area.
- **Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots -** For PS3/PS4 players, this logo is located on the transformer against the wall of the southernmost of the three warehouse buildings.
- **Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots -** For X360/XOne players, it is on the rooftop of the southernmost of the three warehouse buildings. You can use the transformer boxes on the southern side of the building to reach the roof.
- **Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker** - This logo requires you to head to an extraction point and call a helicopter. When it arrives, take a closer look and you should spot the logo on the tail of the helicopter.
- **Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes** - Located on the roof of the guard hut directly in front of you as you start the level.
- **Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance** - can be found on the wall of the admin building opposite the door to the armory in the admin building.
- **Metal Gear Arcade** – for PS3/PS4 players, it is located just next to the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots logo on the transformer at the southern side of the southernmost of the three warehouse buildings.
- **Metal Gear Arcade** – for X360/XOne players, it is located just next to the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots logo on the roof of the southernmost of the three warehouse buildings.
- **Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops** - Found on the western wall of the southernmost of the three warehouse buildings.
- **Metal Gear: Ghost Babel** - located inside the guard hut directly in front of you as you start the level.
- **Metal Gear Solid Touch -** this logo is on the western fence of the prison compound where you rescued Chico in the Ground Zeroes mission.
- **Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops** - this game's logo is on the roof of the armory located in the warehouse area. This is just to the east of the execution ground near the AA gun.
- **Metal Gear Acid 2 -** For PS3/PS4 players it is on a concrete block behind some shrubs at the base of the fence behind the warning sign Metal Gear Solid 2 is behind.
- **Metal Gear Acid 2 -** For X360/XOne players, it is located on the eastern wall of the building directly west of the northernmost of the three warehouse buildings.