Recommended Levels: 27-34
Local Trainers Pokémon
|Kindler Cole||736||Numel Lv. 23, Slugma Lv. 23|
|Kindler Axle||800||Slugma Lv. 25|
|Battle Girl Sadie||832||Meditite Lv. 26|
|Ninja Boy Hiromichi||384||Koffing Lv. 24|
|Ninja Boy Shoji||384||Koffing Lv. 24|
|Ace Trainer Zane||1,560||Slugma Lv. 24, Kecleon Lv. 26|
|Kindler Andy||800||Numel Lv. 25|
The puzzle in this game to some extent mirrors that of the original Lavaridge Gym in Ruby/Sapphire. You will use the panels on the floors to go up or down a level.
- **Top** : Use the middle panel.
- **Bottom** : Use the right panel.
- **Top** : Battle the Kindler, then use the next panel.
- **Bottom** : Use the leftmost panel.
- **Top** : Battle the Kindler and Battle Girl here, then use the southernmost panel.
- **Bottom** : Walk due east and run into the Ninja Boy, win, then go back up.
- **Top** : Now use the far northern panel.
- **Bottom** : Use the easternmost panel. Note that to its left is a hidden Ninja Boy.
- **Top** : Beat Zane up here, then use the southern panel.
- **Bottom** : Beat the Kindler to the west, then use the next panel.
BOSS - Gym Leader Flannery
|Slugma Lv. 26||Fire||Overheat, Rock Throw, Light Screen, Sunny Day|
|Numel Lv. 26||Fire/Ground||Earth Power, Lava Plume, Amnesia, Sunny Day|
|Torkoal Lv. 28||Fire||Overheat, Body Slam, Curse, Sunny Day|
Rewards: $3,360; Heat Badge; TM50 (Overheat)
The best Pokémon here is not necessarily a Water Pokémon; Swampert will admittedly do well here, but that’s moreso because it’s also a Ground-type. If you’re using a Water Pokémon, they must be faster and able to One-Hit KO their opponent or expect Sunny Day.
Numel and Camerupt are particularly good Pokémon for this battle as they will not take super-effective damage throughout and yet also resist those annoying Fire moves.
Graveler and Golem are also decent Pokémon for this, if you have them (they are usually found through Rock Smash); they resist even more moves, though they have that weakness to Earth Power that you’ll want to be aware of.
Like most Gyms, this is mostly a sweeping affair: pick one with an advantage and you’ve beaten them all. Just be careful if you lack any such Pokémon because this Gym can be moderately difficult due to Sunny Day. In this case, just abuse what weaknesses you can and focus on STAB.
After the battle, Flannery will hand over the Heat Badge; it makes all Pokémon, even if traded, up to Level 50 obey you, and it also allows Strength to be used out of battle.
She’ll also hand you TM50 (Overheat). This move is a highly powerful Fire move (Power: 130), but it will halve the user’s Sp. Atk. after use, so it’s not really good for long runs; mostly for the sense of defeating the enemy when you feel you’ll lose the Pokémon anyway.
So, in any case, you’re done! You’re over the hump! Only four more to go!