The player will encounter many different types of enemies while exploring Kyrat, some of which are deadlier than others. Using the camera, the player will be able to tag enemies, allowing them to know exactly what kind of enemy they are up against, as a symbol will appear over the enemy’s head.
The types of enemies you will encounter are listed below.
- **Regular enemies** are marked with a triangle and usually carry assault rifles. Some of them are more armored than the others and may require a few extra rounds to kill.
- **Close combat enemies** are marked with a lightning bolt and come in three varieties, those with shotguns, those that use melee weapons and those that throw Molotovs.
- **Long range enemies** are marked with a crosshair and come in two types, those with sniper rifles and those with RPGs.
- **Heavies** are heavily armored foes that are marked with a shield icon. They can either carry a LMG or a flamethrower.
- **Hunters** are a new type of enemy that are hard to detect, due to them being silent. Tags only last a few seconds before disappearing, and they can also charm predators into attacking you. They can also see you through foliage.
In addition to the above, animals are definitely a more formidable foe in Far Cry 4 than in the previous game. They are separated into two kinds, Predators and Herbivores, but both can be as extremely dangerous as the other. Predators (marked with a fang icon) will attack you on sight, while Herbivores (marked by a paw print) will usually not.
The most dangerous animals are listed below:
- **Eagle** - Can usually tell there's one near by their screeching, but usually can't tell if one will come to attack or not
- **Rhino** - Despite being an Herbivore, will sometimes attack you, knocking you down and keep on attacking you
- **Yak** - Similar to the Rhino (also an Herbivore)
- **Wolves/Dholes** - Usually travel in packs, so there's three or four you have to contend with
- **Leopards** - Very quick, so can be hard to kill sometimes