Head to Lake Hylia (one screen right and one screen down from Link’s House). From the north side of the lake, head right and bomb the cracked wall to find a cave. Inside is a creature called Mother Maimai, who wants Link to find her 100 lost children. Agree to her cause and Link will receive the Maimai Map . Touch the Maimai icon on the bottom screen to indicate how many Maimais (Mother Maimai’s lost children) have yet to be found in an area.
Furthermore, you can now find Maimais everywhere (but not in dungeons). Some of them are visible–stuck on walls for instance; others are hidden under rocks, bushes, you name it. However all share one thing in common: a distinctive chirping sound when you’re near them. As a general rule of thumb, every screen has at least one Maimai. The Item List at the end of the guide includes a detailed list showing where to find each and every Maimai.
Each time you return 10 Maimais, you can upgrade one of Link’s items (but not rented items).
- **Nice Bombs:** Bigger and does more damage.
- **Nice Bow:** Fire three arrows instead of one.
- **Nice Sand Rod:** Sand pillars last forever.
- **Nice Tornado Rod:** Now damages monsters.
- **Nice Hammer:** Double shockwave range and attack.
- **Nice Hookshot:** Faster and does damage.
- **Nice Boomerang:** Can fire up to three at once; faster and flies further.
- **Nice Ice Rod:** Wider area of attack.
- **Nice Fire Rod:** Bigger flames.