To reach the Altar of Despair you’ll need to break the glass window behind the Lumenflower Gardens lamp, dropping you into the upper level of the Grand Cathedral. From here you’ll need to defeat one Celestial Child, collect the A Call Beyond item, and kill two more Small Celestial Emissaries to reach the elevator.
Boss: Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos¶
This is by far one of the toughest bosses in Bloodborne, due to her quick turning radius and the fact that her attacks cover about 180 degrees in front of her. Her weak spot is the tender red interior of her head, guarded by two halves that overlap it, that is exposed during certain attacks.
You’ll need to be aggressive, keeping the damage on when you are full health, and then backing off to heal as needed for the first phase. You can actually get between Ebrietas’ split tail, but you’ll often times be pushed through her body or she’ll hop away from you.
If you rush toward her torso and stick just to her sides you can hack away at her body while avoiding the majority of her attacks, often luring her into a Head mash that allows you to prey on her head weakness. If she does jump away from you make sure to rush to her sides, as staying away too long will result in her using her Forward Charge attack.
List of Ebrietas’s attacks in Phase 1:
- Head Smash: Slams her head on the ground to do massive damage, opening her up to attacks on her head
- Forward Charge: Charges across the arena, covering great distance and width, dealing heavy damage
- Tentacle Slam: Slams her tentacles down hard in front of her for heavy damage
- Forward Blood Spit: Spits blood at you that causes Frenzy build-up straight forward in two bursts
- Sweeping Blood Spit: Spits blood at you that causes Frenzy build-up in a sweeping 150 degree arc
When Ebrietas reaches 50% she’ll lower her head and begin to use her Cosmic Radiation ability. This is the time to rush straight in and hit her head for all you have in the hopes of causing a stagger, allowing you to perform a visceral attack, as well as stopping her from fully entering her Phase 2.
Keep up the attacks after the visceral attack is performed until she is either dead or initiates her Phase 2, in which case you will then be in a shit ton of trouble.
If you end up having to deal with Phase 2 of Ebrietas you’ll end up with a much more aggressive version of the previous fight. While you can pretty much use the same strategy above, her Charge attack will most certainly kill you in one hit and her Star Shower will cause a lot of trouble. Keep moving around her to try to lure her into Head Smashes so that you can attack her head and finish her off.
List of Ebrietas’s attacks in Phase 2:
- Cosmic Radiation: Surrounds herself in a damaging aura that can be healed by slashing her
- Two-Stage Charge: Flies into the air before performing a charge attack, followed by a head smash
- Star Shower: Summons three waves of arcane missiles on your location, must be side-stepped to avoid
Drops: 28,800 Blood Echoes and the Great Isz Chalice
Defeat Great One: Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos.
Acquire the Great Chalice of Isz that seals the home of the cosmic kin.