You can start this quest as you pass by an estate east of Francollarts - many will probably encounter it en route to the Trastamara Hunting Cottage during La Cage au Fou, or, if you’re somewhat off-course, during Wine Wars - Belgaard (Part 2). Either way, you’ll find a man named Gaston attending to another, injured man on the side of the road.
Talk to Gaston and Geralt will showcase his medical expertise, and after examining the body will decide to investigate matters further. Respond how you wish here, and when you’re back in control, head up to the nearby manor and investigate the damaged door and the nearby helmet lying amidst a puddle of blood. Seems obvious where the fatal injury occurred, and how, but why?
Blast the locked door with Aard and head inside to witness a scene of carnage in the courtyard beyond. Examine the bodies, overturned tables, elven artifacts, and eventually a burn mark on the ground near a fountain. Head up the stairs nearby (southwest of the fountain) and examine bodies and discarded garments as you make your way southeast to find a door you can knock on. Do so to summon the owner of the estate who will explain what happened, and Geralt, from an abundance of caution, will determine the ritual must be repeated so the offended spirit can be dealt with.
You’ll regain control just after midnight, where you’ll be tasked with recreating the ritual that summoned the spirit:
- Light six braziers scattered throughout the courtyard (they’re marked, so you can’t miss them.)
- Take a loaf of “elven bread” from a chest near the fountain.
- Put the elven bread in an offering bowl near Durand’s throne.
- Take a bottle of wine from the same chest you got the bread.
- Put the elven wine in the other offering bowl near Durand’s throne.
- Pick up the elven sword and shield on the ground near Gaston.
- Equip the elven sword and shield (they’re both located in the “Quest Items” section of your inventory. You actually have to draw them for this to count, so assign the shield via your quick-action wheel (L1) and equip it with (R1) and unsheathe your steel sword with (LEFT).
- Relight the last brazier.
- Kneelbefore Durand.
After completing these steps, the statues will come to life and attack, consisting of several spear-wielding statues and two mages. The spearmen-statues aren’t anything special, you can defeat them with the same old heavy-attack-dodge combo you’re familiar with, but the mages will pelt you with fire and lightning spells. Try to dodge over to them and cut them down first, using Quen to mitigate their magical attacks, and once they’re dead the spearmen should be no trouble.
When the statues are defeated, Durand will explain what happened and offer some commentary on elves. Defend them or not, either way, the quest will end.
|For defeating the statues||XP / 300 Crowns|