Dead Island 2 has coop, which will allow players to join other people’s games, whether in public, private or friend-only lobbies. If you want your friends or complete strangers to join your game, you will need to complete the tutorial before you can play Dead Island 2 in coop.
How to play Dead Island 2 in coop
You’ll need to get halfway through the Call the Cavalry mission when you get in-game. This is one of the first main story missions you partake in once you’ve been introduced to the game properly. You will get this quest once you are reunited with Sam B, Emma, and the other plane survivors in Bel-Air.
You’ll know you’re at that point when you reach your way to Emma in her bedroom, and she tells you about the Hotel Halperin. Once you’ve got that mission objective, and you can leave the safe house, you can then jump over the gate, and you’ll be able to play the game in coop. Your character will even give a voice prompt saying “Really could use some friends right now” or something along those lines. You’ll then get a prompt telling you how to play coop in Dead Island 2.
To get to that point, you need to play through the following tutorial segments:
- Plane Crash Exploration:
- Plane Crash Combat Tutorial
- Bel-Air House 1: This gives you a tutorial to dodging, fighting multiple zombies, fuseboxes and investigation-style mission blockers.
- Afterwards, you’ll get to Emma’s house, set up a safe house, learn how merchants work, and use workbenches.
- Once all that is done, you can then get the Call the Cavalry Mission, where you return to the game’s actual map.
- This will take roughly 30 minutes of your time to complete.
If you need to change your settings, to enable multiplayer in your single-player game, then you can do so by F1 or your console’s dedicated button. Alternatively, you can go to the main menu, and enable the multiplayer setting on your save when you’re loading into the game.
And there you have it, you now know how to play Dead Island 2 in coop.