Ah, marriage. Marriage in Skyrim is a bit different than marriage as you may be used to it. For example, there is NO courting in the world of Skyrim whatsoever. In fact, to GET MARRIED in Skyrim, one must simply wear an ‘Amulet of Mara’ and find a partner that is interested in you.
With that being said, it is EXTREMELY easy to get married in Skyrim. All weddings occur in the TEMPLE OF MARA located in Riften. This is also the place to go to buy an Amulet of Mara for a cheap sum as well.
Note that whether you are Male or Female makes no difference, and neither does the sex of whom you want to marry (males can marry males and vice versa).
So, WHY would you want to get married? Well, at a glance here are some of the benefits of getting married:
- Sleeping in a bed you own with your partner gives you the Lover’s Comfort Perk: All skills improve 15% faster for 8 hours.
- You can ask your mate to cook you a meal once a day and receive a ‘Homecooked Meal’ that increased health, magicka, and stamina recovery.
- You can choose to move in with your partner should they own a house, leading to more property for you if you wish.
- You gain a ring called “The Bond of Matrimony” that makes Restoration spells cost 10% less to cast.
- Your mate will often open up a store and start selling various goods (which of course depends on WHO they are). You can then ask your mate to share the profits, which nets you 100 Gold for every 24 hours.
So as you can see, there’s quite a few reasons to get married. Below is a list of Marriage Candidates that my friend Gwaelaurien has made for me. Use it to find out which NPC’s you can marry in Skyrim.