Being sneaky is part and parcel of the Assassin’s Creed experience and our protagonists in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate have a number of useful ways to exploit the environment and some fancy abilities at their disposal to allow this to occur. Whilst combat is fun and all, sometimes the stealthy route is necessary either to prevent alerting guards or to complete an objective, so you had best learn at least a few basics!
Sneaking – Returning from Unity is the addition of a dedicated sneaking mode in which players can move around in a crouched walk, making our assassins harder to spot and drawing much less attention. Players can use the following techniques:
Hiding - Evie and Jacob can hide in a number of set hiding spots that include sitting inside haystacks, on sitting on benches with other NPCs, in cupboards, sheds and other types of curtained hiding areas. When inside a hiding spot, or characters are essentially invisible making them a great place to observe enemy patrol patterns and plan your next move. It is also possible to use insta-kill assassination techniques on enemies if they venture too close.
Cover - Our protagonists can walk up and hide behind walls, crates or other corner pieces in the environment to take cover. When crouching, you can take cover behind lower objects in the environment. From behind these corners, players are able to free-aim to lean out and use their ranged weapons without being spotted as well as perform a cover assassination if enemies come into range.
Whistling - Whistling can be used to draw enemies’ attention to your current location – perfect for setting a trap from a hiding spot and then using the whistle to lure bad guys to said hiding spot for a silent takedown.
Eagle Vision - Eagle Vision allows Evie/Jacob to mark targets and identify persons of interest. Once tagged, these enemies will remain tagged and be visible through walls when returning to regular vision mode. This is extremely useful for keeping an eye on patrols whilst sneaking into areas or attempting to assassinate a specific target.
Assassinations - When a player character is undetected, it is possible to sneak up on and kill enemies instantaneously with an assassination attack. These can include the following:
There are quite a few types of assassination available to our friendly assassin duo and these are very useful as they will instantly kill an enemy if pulled off correctly. These can be mostly triggered by contextual circumstances, allowing you to perform a range of instant kill attacks in a range of circumstances. These assassinations include the following types:.
- Assassination – Simply walking up to a guard undetected and hitting the melee button as the target’s aura changes to red will assassinate him.
- Double Assassination – approaching a pair of enemies undetected, it is possible to execute a double assassination by hitting the attack button when the enemy auras turn red.
- Air Assassination - Climbing up to a roof, cable, girder or any other raised structure that we can stand on, we can look down and target enemies below us. Hitting the assassination button when an enemy is targeted will result in the character jumping from the building and taking the enemy down.
- Double Air Assassination – As with the standard Air Assassination, find a ledge overlooking enemies, target them and then hit the melee button to watch the magic unfold.
- Hanging Ledge Assassination – Players are able to hang from ledges and window frames and perform ledge assassinations on enemies that walk too close to their position. This will have Evie/Jacob pull the enemy from their window or give them a quick stab to kill them.
- Corner Assassination – Whilst in cover behind objects such as walls, fences and crates, it is possible to initiate a stealthy assassination if a guard moves too close to the corner location you are hiding.
- Cover Assassination – Whilst hiding behind a short, relatively thin objects such as crates and half walls, it is possible to assassinate enemies standing behind the object directly opposite your location. Our assassin of choice will reach over the cover, grab the enemy and give them a quick stab.
- Hiding Place Assassination – It is possible to assassinate an enemy from a hiding place such as a hay stack, bench or curtain if they move into close proximity to the location.This will instantly kill the enemy as well as hiding the body in one action.