Pokemon isn’t a stranger when it comes to hidden values - for instance, your Pokemon’s IVs and EVs and your trainer Secret ID. It’s time we introduce you to yet another one: Shiny Value . Each trainer has their own Shiny Value, which is one of 4096 four digit numbers, eg. 3656 (ours by the way!).
Similarly, each Pokemon egg is given a random Shiny Value - again, one of 4096 possible four digit numbers. If the egg’s Shiny Value (ESV) matches your trainer Shiny Value (TSV), the egg will hatch into a Shiny Pokemon. Normally, if you do the maths, there’s a 1/4096 chance of hatching a Shiny Pokemon.
Rigging The Odds
So far, so simple, right? Now, here’s the trick: Through certain methods, which we won’t discuss in depth because it’s a grey area (hint: you need an external device), it’s possible to view your TSV and the ESV of your Pokemon eggs. Doesn’t sound particularly useful at first, until you consider many people will be doing this too.
Thus it’s possible to create a "pool" of known TSVs and ESVs, then search online for the TSV or ESV you want. For instance, if there’s an egg with an ESV of 0108 that you want to hatch shiny, you need to find a trainer online with a TSV of 0108. Then trade your egg to the trainer, let them hatch it and have them trade it back to you.
The other way round applies too; if someone is offering an egg with an ESV of 3656 and your TSV is 3656, you’ll probably want that egg. Either way, it’s entirely possible to hatch yourself a guaranteed shiny Pokemon if you look in the right places, at the right times, and be all nice about it (we got a few this way).
Pros and Cons
- Guaranteed to get a shiny if you find a trainer with a matching TSV.
- While checking ESVs, you can also check the unborn Pokemon's stats. So it's an "easy" way to get a powerful Shiny Pokemon with the right nature, abilities and moves!
- This method requires at least two people co-operating. One to hatch the egg and likely another to check your TSV/ESV. So will require good co-ordination.
- There's no guarantee the ESV checker or egg hatcher will give your eggs/Pokemon back. Always look for references (i.e. past transactions)!
- Can't (regularly) nickname your Shiny Pokemon, since it was hatched by a different trainer. You can ask to nickname it during the trade though.