The Battle Maison is a facility similar to the Battle Towers and the Battle Subways from the previous games. The premise of playing here is to get a very long battling streak against trainers: using only one team, no items from the bag, and with healings between each battle, you need to get as far as possible.
In doing so, you earn BP to exchange for numerous valuable items. This is much harder than it sounds! The facility itself is found in Kiloude City after beating the game: it is the gold mansion in the center of the town. If you go further within to the battling area, you can speak with the receptionist to begin battle.
Like in the past, there are a number of restrictions, also shared by Lumiose’s Battle Institute.
- Flat Battles: All battles will be Flat Battles. That is to say, Pokémon not at Level 50 are made to be Level 50: stats and EV growths will be adjusted appropriately. (Moves remain unchanged.)
- Legendary Pokémon: Most mainstream Legendary Pokémon are not allowed: this means you cannot use , , Ho-oh, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Pseudo-Legendaries: These Pokémon are allowed, per tradition: this means , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and are allowed to battle.
- Duplication: Hold items (beyond having no items) and Pokémon species may not be repeated.
- Quantities: For Single Battles, you need three Pokémon; for Double and Rotation, you need four; and for Triple, you need six. If you use Multi Battles (you and someone against two others; the other may be human or AI), you only need two, but the battle format will be Double Battle.
After each battle win, you’ll earn some BP (Battle Points) . BP is used to buy items at the exchange in the entrance of the Maison. The BP earned will increase significantly as time goes on.
For the most part, Trainers in the Battle Maison are completely random, except at the 20- and 50-win marks, at which point you’ll battle an unique trainer according to the battle rules. Due to this chaotic nature, you will definitely want to construct a team well-fitted to fight any type of Pokémon.
Pokémon with huge move varieties, such as or or or or or , will be absolutely key to your survival. Hopefully you’ve gathered enough TMs and HMs throughout the Kalos region to modify some Pokémon to your needs.
During your challenge, you are allowed to interrupt it or save. Interrupting your challenge, unlike previous generations, is okay. Now you can take breaks to do Wi-Fi battles or whatever. It’s a notable feature to series veterans … and a welcome one! Your streak will end, however, if you lose a battle or opt to change battle types.
BP Exchange (Left Lady)
|Ability Capsule||200BP||Switches a Pokémon’s two abilities (if it has two)|
|Absorb Bulb||32BP||If the holder is hit by a Water-type move, Special Attack goes up|
|Air Balloon||48BP||Makes the Pokémon immune to Ground-type moves until hit (which destroys the item)|
|Assault Vest||48BP||Raises Special Defense, but prevents status moves from being used|
|Bright Powder||48BP||Lowers the foes’ accuracy|
|Calcium||2BP||Increases Special Attack EVs by 10 (up to 100 Special Attack or 510 overall)|
|Carbos||2BP||Increases Speed EVs by 10 (up to 100 Speed or 510 overall)|
|Cell Battery||32BP||If the holder is hit with an Electric-type move, its Attack rises|
|Choice Band||48BP||Increases Attack, but only allows one move to be used|
BP Exchange (Right Lady)
|Dream Eater (TM85)||48BP||Absorbs HP; only works on Sleeping targets|
|Explosion (TM64)||48BP||User will faint|
|Incinerate (TM59)||16BP||If target holds a Berry, it is destroyed|
|Quash (TM60)||24BP||User makes target go last|
|Retaliate (TM67)||48BP||More powerful if ally fainted last turn|
|Roar (TM05)||24BP||Forces switch (ends wild battles)|
|Round (TM48)||16BP||Stronger if allies use Round, too|
|Sludge Wave (TM34)||32BP||May cause Poison|
|Smack Down (TM23)||32BP||Removes Flying-type designation|
|Steel Wing (TM51)||32BP||May raise the user’s Special Defense|
|Swagger (TM87)||24BP||Confuses a target, but raises Attack sharply|
|Volt Switch (TM72)||48BP||User will switch out|