Psst, we'll tell you a secret. Not every Pokemon can be obtained by playing the game normally. Dun dun dun!
From time to time, Nintendo likes to distribute "special" Pokemon, which can be rare Pokemon species not found in the games (like the so-called "Mythical" Pokemon) or Pokemon with rare moves or Ability.
Cataloging each and every Pokemon distribution is probably beyond the scope of our guide; truthfully, we'd probably need a whole other guide. Instead, we suggest keeping your eyes and ears peeled, especially towards Nintendo's official website or other big Nintendo/Pokemon websites.
However, we can teach you the methods to obtain said Pokemon. We'll also provide a detailed breakdown of the early Pokemon distributions that you can look forward to!
How to Obtain
Most Pokemon distributions are received via the Mystery Gift menu, accessible before loading your save file. From there, select "Receive Gift" to access the following delivery options:
- Get via Local Wireless: Choose this if there is a Pokemon being distributed wirelessly in the local vicinity. In general, this is rarely used unless you're visited a massive Pokemon event such as Worlds or Japan.
- Get via Internet: Choose this if there is a Pokemon being distributed online. You can check Pokemon's official website to see if there is an Internet distribution.
- Get via Infrared: Only choose this if you're at a Pokemon event where there is an infra-red distribution device (the staff will inform you). This method is very, very rarely used.
- Get with Code/Password: Choose this if you have a serial code or password to redeem a Pokemon. You will need to connect to the Internet to validate the code.
In this day and age, where it's super easy to discover international news, be aware that Pokemon distributed via Internet, Code or QR Code can only be received using a 3DS system from the intended region. For example, an American QR Code for Magaerna will only work on an American 3DS system.
As far as we know, Pokemon distriubted via Local Wireless or Infrared have no such restrictions. Of course, after you've received the actual Pokemon, you can trade it to anyone you want, regardless of region.
In addition to Mystery Gift, you may be able to use these methods:
- Directly from Another Game: If you have another Pokemon game on the same 3DS system as Pokemon Sun or Moon, you might be able to send a Pokemon from that game.
- QR Code: If you scan a special QR code using the in-game QR Scanner (accessible from the menu), you might be able to find that Pokemon somewhere in your game.
Type : Directly from Another Game
Region : Worldwide
Period : 18th November 2016 and onwards
If you're a keen Pokemon fan, you may have already gotten this special Pokemon... sort of. After completing the Pokemon Sun and Moon Special Demo, available for free from the Nintendo eShop, you can speak to Professor Kukui in the Pokemon Centre and send Ash-Greninja to the full version of the game.
To do so, the Special Demo must be available on the same 3DS (or 2DS) as the full game. Ash-Greninja has the unique Battle Bond ability that no other Greninja has, which empowers it after it defeats an opposing Pokemon.
Type : Internet
Region : Worldwide
Period : 18th November 2016 to 11th January 2017
To entice fans to get the game early, Nintendo is giving away a Munchlax with the unique Snorium Z item until 11th January 2017. After Munchlax has evolved into Snorlax, it (or indeed any Snorlax) will be able to use a unique Z-Move "Pulverizing Pancake" so long as it's holding Snorium Z.
Type : QR Code
Region : America/Europe
Period : 5th/6th December 2016 and onwards
The first Mythical Pokemon of Sun and Moon is available by scanning a special QR code using the QR Scanner from the field menu. You can then obtain Magaerna from the antique shop in the Hau'oli shopping mall after completing the story.
The mechanical marvel is also holding a Bottle Cap, useful for Hyper Training.