In Multiplayer, each player assumes the role of one of a group of Inquisition irregulars dispatched to eliminate either a cohort of Venatori, a battalion of Red templars or a pack of Demons that have taken control of an area.
Each location consists of 5 zones chosen at random from various possible configurations. Once the first four zones have been cleared, the Inquisition agents will face a fifth wave of enemies led by the enemy commander, either an Envy demon, Calpernia or Samson, depending on which faction they are in battle with. Once the final wave of enemies have been killed, the match ends victoriously.
If a player’s health drops to 0 they are Incapacitated and are unable to fight, use abilities or use potions. However they can still move. Another player who is not incapacitated must revive an Incapacitated player or else they will bleed out and die. If a player dies, they linger in The Fade and can only watch the match as an observe but cannot interact in any way. Once the surviving players clear a wave of enemies, a dead player will be revived. However players can only be incapacitated 3 times per match. If their health drops below 0 after this, they will instantly die. Each player that dies rather than becoming incapacitated, will increase the strength of the Inquisition’s enemies in that match.
Occasionally when players reach a new zone, an Event will activate which adds an optional objective for that section, in addition to eliminating all enemies in that zone. There are four different Event types and minor variations of each event.
- **Protect the VIP** - Players must protect a person of unique import to the Inquisition who has been trapped by the enemy. This person will have their own health bar visible to all players and will assist in battle but will leave once the current zone has been cleared. The class, identity and specialization of the VIP will be different for each variation of this event. If the VIP survives until the end of the Zone, a large bonus of Gold will be awarded to all players. Potential versions of this Event include:
- **Defend the Inquisition Messenger** : VIP is an Orlesian Chevalier Rogue with an Archery specialization.
- **Defend the Inquisition Captain** : VIP is an Inquisition Warrior
- **Defend the Inquisition Informant** : VIP is a Rogue with a Sword and shield specialization.
- **Recover the Item** - Players must secure a valuable asset which has been discovered in the location. The enemy faction will attempt to destroy the object the players get close enough and begin to deplete it's health. Once the object has been located, one player must pause next to the object to recover it. Successfully recovering the object will aware an additional bonus of gold. Potential versions of this Event include:
- **Recover the Supplies**
- **Recover the Weapons**
- **Recover the Heirlooms**
- **Recover the Scrolls**
- **Defeat the Targeted Enemy** : Players must eliminate a higher tier opponent amongst a group of enemies in that zone. This enemy will be marked by a red sword and axe above their head.
- **Eliminate Guardians to Break Seal** : Sometimes when a player attempts to open a treasure chest in one of the optional alcoves, a magical seal will activate and either a Revenant, Arcane Horror or a group of Corpses will appear and attack the players. These enemies must be eliminated in order to open the chest and obtain the gold therein.